Neuhardenberg is located on the western edge of the Oderbruch - a region in Brandenburg that Theodor Fontane also wrote about in his "Wanderungen durch die Mark Brandenburg" in the volume "Das Oderland".
The origins of the castle complex date back to the end of the 17th century. In 1679 Electress Dorothea of Brandenburg acquired the Quilitz estates, later Neuhardenberg. Already around 1708 a palace garden in baroque style was built. In 1763, Rittmeister Joachim Bernhard von Prittwitz receives the Quilitz estate from the crown as an honorary gift. From 1786 to 1790, von Prittwitz erected the castle building as a single-story, three-wing complex with a high mansard roof. In 1814, the Prussian State Chancellor Karl August Prince von Hardenberg receives Quilitz as a gift, in addition to other properties, due to his special services to the reforms in Prussia. In 1815, he renames the castle Neu Hardenberg. Around 1820, the castle is rebuilt into a two-story classicist palace according to plans by Schinkel. In 1822, the park is expanded and redesigned according to plans by Lenné.
The palace complex has been transformed into a center for art and culture, science and business ethics with a hotel and two restaurants by the German Savings Banks and Giro Association. An internationally acclaimed cultural program with exhibitions, readings and debates as well as concerts and theater performances also provides space and opportunity for encounters and discoveries. The castle park can be visited at any time.
Tip: Public tours of the palace are offered on Sundays from the end of March to the end of October Individual tours can be arranged by telephone on request.