For botany lovers, Trebnitz Castle Park is an absolute must. More than 3,025 species of plants can be found here on around 26 hectares of landscaped area. The foundation of the castle park goes back to the plant lover Georg Friedrich von Ziethen, who was the landlord in Trebnitz from 1707. By 1736, the park already had almost all of the garden plants cultivated in Central Europe at the time, as well as some introduced rare plants, including exotic ones such as the tulip tree or the honeybush, which originated in South Africa. The famous botanist and later director of the Botanical Garden in Berlin, Johann Gottlieb Gleditsch, was overwhelmed by the huge variety of plants, recorded and published them in 1737 in the "Catalogus Plantarum Trebnitzii".
At the beginning of the 18th century, the park was still laid out in the Baroque style with strict geometric forms, but after the revival of English landscape gardens in the 19th century, it was redesigned into an open, structured park with individual visual axes. In the midst of an agricultural landscape, Trebnitz Park today represents an ecologically diverse and valuable gem. It is therefore rightly under nature protection and belongs to the category of "Protected Parks". A visit to Trebnitz Castle Park is worthwhile at any time of the year to admire the different trees and plants. Plant lovers will get their money's worth here. A diverse stock of trees and plants such as the horse chestnut, three species of lilac, citrus species, imperial crowns, seven varieties of tulips, hyacinths, succulents and trees from South Africa as well as North American and East Asian plants count among them. A hands-on story guides visitors through the park and introduces them to the diversity of flora and fauna.
The scale and prestigious appearance of the chateau, located in the chateau park, is surprising given its original purpose as an estate and manor house. The current neo-Baroque masonry dates back to an expansion from 1900 to 1910. Today it houses an international youth education and meeting center.
Year of construction: 1707
Directions: Car: B1 to Jahnsfelde, then L36 to Trebnitz; Train: RB26 to Trebnitz